Sunday, October 9, 2011

Project 9b : My Timeline : EDM 310 Class Blog



This is my instructional timeline, completed BEFORE I realized that Timetoast "doesn't support B.C. era dates", according to the faq section. If I were to use this timeline in my class, it would be only with strong emphasis that 9/10ths of it is in the B.C. era. Otherwise, the timeline is skewed, and inaccurate. As part of a project in 7th or 8th grade social studies, this timeline would help students gather information to learn about classic civilizations and their contributions to our government; ancient peoples and their way of life; specific time periods in history and their lasting affects on our world; and the impact of war and prosperity on human civilizations.
The inability to create timelines in the B.C. era is the only problem I see with Timetoast. It is a very easy tool to use, but its limitation is unfortunate; there is a lot of history for students to learn about more than 2000+ years ago!
I plan to add to it, and try to find more information, photos, links and websites that will make it more interesting and thorough. There are many other subjects that I could have chosen to chronicle. An architectural buff of sorts, I learned from doing the research to get to this point in this project. I hope more research will help me develop it further, and it will become an important component in my classroom social studies and civics projects. I therefore consider it a work in progress.

1 comment:

  1. Gretchen,

    I found it so appropriate that you did your Timetoast on Ancient Greek Architecture. From your introduction, you really sound like someone who loves building and creating things. The pictures of the buildings were really beautiful. You did a great job and maybe you should think about becoming a history teacher!!??!!

    I also had trouble with my Timetoast. I wanted to go back about 35 million years to mark the ancestors of the eagle! You can visit my blog to see how I tried to deal with my Timetoast. I totally agree that not having B.C. is a flaw of Timetoast. Kids love learning about the dinosaurs, old land formations, ancient civilizations, etc. and it would be very useful and appropriate for Timetoast to include the B.C. era!

    P.S. I also love the outdoors, animals, and oil painting! We have a lot in common and I am glad I got to blog with you this week!

    ReplyDelete